Edit the FortuneCookies page to display randomly selected wisdom here.
- "Since we expect that the source language informant will not be well-versed in computational linguistics ... the generation of the morphological analyzer component has to be accomplished almost semi-automatically." --- Oflazer and Nirenberg 1999
"To a first approximation, all multicellular species are insects." --- W. Wayt Gibbs, Scientific American November, 2001
- "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappriopriate clothing." --- Sir Rannulph Fiennes
- "Be alert. The world could use more lerts."
- "You rush the miracle man, you get rotten miracles." --- Miracle Max
- "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --- Inigo Montoya
- "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" "A noun phrase." --- Wendy Bannister
- "Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself." --- Morpheus
- "Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. ... Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." --- Spoon Boy
- Recursive, adj: See "recursive"
- "I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an escalator temporarily out of order sign, only an escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." --- Mitch Hedberg
- "Telepathy is just the limiting case of ambiguity resolution." --- EMB; "I'm in two minds about that." --- FCB
"Modern science is indeed almost completely dependent on grants, which means results don’t really matter. What really matters is getting the next grant." --- Seth Roberts
- "Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and when it is bad, it is better than nothing." --- Dick Brandon
- The perfect is the enemy of the good.
- If what you really want is breadth, you haven't experienced depth. --- FCB
- Slow and steady wins the race.
- I'd rather be treebanking.
- From time to time, Dan comes in like the lion Aslan. --- Lars
- "_Bacon_ ice cream? Okay, I'm in." --- FCB enjoying the legendary hospitality of UW
- "If you're going to fake it, fake it properly." --- FCB as paraphrased by EMB
- Expectations shape interpretations --- FCB
- An 'event' can be anything from a sneeze to World War II. --- Antske
- "Throughout the whole literature time, this is one … this is one that I need a beer." --- Hans, regarding some particularly tangled example in German
- "Nothing rides on this except the empirical facts." --- Dan
- When you say "robust," do you mean that your system is robust over linguistic inputs, or that language is robust over your system's outputs?
"The best dissertation is the one that is written." --- (source: http://goo.gl/lfzE33)
- Seriously, if you get less than 60% doing the obvious stuff, try something radically different, as obvious won't do it. --- Kaleissin
- "In general, I have nothing against rule-based systems." -- EMB
- "As long as the constraints you give me are correct, I won't ask that they be complete." --- Woodley
- "First we both curtsey, then we both bow." Dancing Etiquette --- Mary
- "My own personal views are not always the only ones that make sense." --- Dan
- "Also is still not not." --- Treebankers
- "Document as I say, not as I do." --- Antske, as paraphrased by EMB
- "We were covered in bat guano and it was fantastic!" --- GCS
- [hiking through brambles outside of Tomar] "Scythe matters." --- FCB
- If you're not treebanking, you're not doing grammar engineering. --- EMB
"TDL is not Tokyo DisneyLand -_-|||" --- LL to wife
- There's a whole hive of bes in the ERG --- EMB
- "Science needs time to think. Science needs time to read, and time to fail." --- slow-science.org
- "Coerce everything; type nothing." --- FCB
- "... that way you don't have to have a glass in your hand." --- FCB "I'm fine with that." --- RD
- Q: Why did a stranger let you modify their BIOS in the middle of a demo? A: We're both from Cambridge.
All models are wrong; some models are useful --- George Box
"Here is a wonderful variety of... cactuses" "Cacti?" "Cactopodes?" (helpful plural suggestions while touring Stanford's Arizona Cactus Garden)
- "Our grammars are the ultimate interpretable models" --- GCS
- "There's some lack of information that the grammar should be giving us." --- EMB
- "The nice thing about rule-based systems is, there is blame." --- Gina
- "Let’s pause at this point for questions." --- Guy. "What?!?!" --- David I.
- "You can find a significance test that will make that difference go away." --- oe
- "Keep the haplology to yourself!" --- Dan
- "Kim saw who who saw Kim?" --- Woodley